xsl-list

[xsl] dynamic table column widths

2006-07-05 07:56:24
The answers to these questions are eluding me so I'm hoping some of you
may be able to point me in the right direction.

First question...
If you've set a fixed height/width for a block-container, but the
content of the block within the container is larger (ie the text
overflows), is there a setting to make the block-container 'grow' to
continue to encompass the content?

Second question...
I'm trying to build a table whose columns have a width equal to the
block-container in the header cell.  I attempted to do this by removing
the column-width attribute from the table-column tag, but this seems to
cause random columns to size randomly, rather then to size around the
block-containers found in the cells.  I tested this by adding the
background-color attribute to the block-containers and you can
definitely see the white-space.  Is there a setting to tell the column's
cells to 'collapse' around the block-containers?

The questions are related as that I want the table to primarily have a
specific column width based upon a table-header cell width.  The most
common cell values have a single line of text, the problem is figuring
out how to handle the occasional header who's text flows to 2 or even 3
lines necessitating a wider column-width for that column.  Currently I
either get no control over column widths with tons of white-space and
the table overflowing the page when I don't specify any column-width OR
I get the initial set column widths, but have the column header content
overflow 1 or even 2 column headers when the content is longer then 1
line of text when I attempt set the column-width as fixed or using
proportional-column-width().

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Janean Angeles