xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Keeping a running total? (Redo)

2006-07-11 14:35:46
Thank you, Dianne,

*Now* the problem is well defined and one could give it a try.

On 7/11/06, didoss(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net <didoss(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net> wrote:
I would think that the intended output would be:

Factory A produces 3 widgets;
Factory B produces 5 widgets and 1 gadget;
Factory C produces 3 gadgets;
Factory D produces 1 gadget and 1 excess product - whatever that is;
Factory E and beyond produce excess products.

So, you are really trying to keep track of 2 changing numbers,...the number of
current product still required, as well as the capacity of the factory.  When
the number of the current product required gets to zero, you change products -
gotta figure out how to prioritize those.  When the capacity of the current
factory gets to zero (has been fully allocated), you change factories - which
would be controlled by the order of the input xml, I assume.

So, is it better to do this incrementally - subtract one from required and one
from remaining capacity,...or to do bulk comparisons - I need to build 8, but
can only build 3, so give all three to Factory 1, and subtract 3 from
WidgetRequirement, then I still need to build 5, but Factory B can build 6, so
subtract all 5 from the WidgetRequirement and the CurrentCapacity and then
figure out what to do with the remaining CurrentCapacity for Factory B.

Dianne

From: "Dimitre Novatchev" <dnovatchev(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
> The presented source xml file is not too representative because the
> total capacity of the first two factories is exactly the widget quota.
>
> What should be the output in case the capacity for factory B was 6?
>

> On 7/11/06, Steve <subsume(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
> >
> > ----- Source XML
> > <xml>
> >  <factory x="A" capacity = "3" />
> >  <factory x="B" capacity= "5" />
> >   <factory x="C" capacity = "3" />
> >   <factory x="D" capacity = "2" />
> >   <factory x="E" capacity = "2" />
> >   ...etc...
> > </xml>
> >
> > $Widget_quota = "8"
> > $Gadget_quota = "5"
> >
> > ----- Goal: an output table like below.
> >
> > Factory    |   Widgets  |  Gadgets    |      Excess
> >
> >     A        |   3
> >     B        |   5
> > <!--          *Click. Widget Quota has been reached. Switch to gadgets* -->
> >     C        |                       3
> >     D        |                       2
> >  <!--          *Click. Omg. Gadget Quota has been reached. Switch to Excess*
> -->
> >     E         |                                             etc.
> >     F         |                                             etc.
> >     G         |                                             etc.
> >     H         |                                             etc.
> >
> > ----
> > Howto?
> >
> > M.K. Suggested
> > http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/200607/msg00191.html