xsl-list

RE: [xsl] xsl template priority / xsl template precedence

2006-09-07 11:49:41
You've got one template that matches aggregate elements, and another that
matches errorresponse elements. Priorities only come into play when a node
matches more than one template rule, and that's not the case here - there's
no overlap. If you apply-templates on an aggregate, the first rule fires; if
you apply-templates on an errorresponse (with the right ancestry) the second
rule fires. Priority and precedence don't affect it.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Rauscher [mailto:rra(_at_)blue-elephant-systems(_dot_)com]
Sent: 07 September 2006 18:46
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] xsl template priority / xsl template precedence

Hi,

seem to be stuck on this one. I'm using the following template:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
version="1.0">
   <xsl:template match="aggregate" priority="5">
       matched aggregate
   </xsl:template>
   <xsl:template match="aggregate/responses/errorresponse"
priority="1000">
       matched error response
   </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

and the following input:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<aggregate>
       <errorresponse>
           some error
       </errorresponse>
</aggregate>

I'd assume that given the priority attributes on the
templates, the match="aggregate/responses/errorresponse"
would get chosen by the XSLT processor. However, the result
is that - no matter what I try - the processor always uses
the match="aggregate" template also that thing has lower
priority and is also less specific than the other one.

Anyone any ideas why that happens? I tried different
processors, all with the same result.

Ralph

--~--