xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Need Help

2006-12-08 17:36:32
I thought you could pass
parameters into the xslt and use it within conditional
statments.  I guess I was wrong.

No, you were right.

I'm afraid I haven't followed the thread (subject lines like this don't grab
my attention) so I don't know how you got the impression you were wrong.
Some misunderstanding somewhere. Perhaps you should start again with a
single question and a simple example.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

  Thanks for the help I will
just keep tring to put something together that meets my
needs.  If anyone else has any other ideas about this your
help would be appreciated.

Charles Knell seemed to think that it was possible but I am
not as wise as him so I don't know if it is.

Brant

----- Original Message ----
From: David Carlisle <davidc(_at_)nag(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Sent: Friday, December 8, 2006 3:55:40 PM
Subject: Re: [xsl] Need Help

(please see the list posting guidelines about choosing
subject lines that help the archives later)

I want to transform it to this
..
Is this possible?

not exactly as your requested format isn't well formed (<a>
elements not
closed) but  essentially I suspect you want something like

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";;>
<xsl:output indent="yes"/>
<xsl:template match="menu">
  <ul>
    <xsl:apply-templates/>
  </ul>
</xsl:template>
<xsl:template match="item">
  <li>
    <xsl:if test="item">
      <ul>
      <xsl:apply-templates/>
      </ul>
    </xsl:if>
  </li>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

which produces

<ul>
   <li>
   </li>
   <li>
      <ul>
         <li>
         </li>
         <li>
         </li>
        <li>
         </li>
      </ul>
   </li>
   <li>
      <ul>
         <li>
         </li>
         <li>
         </li>
         <li>
         </li>
         <li>
            <ul>
               <li>
               </li>
               <li>
               </li>
            </ul>
         </li>
      </ul>
   </li>
</ul>

Also I would like to apply CSS Classes to certain nodes
depending if
they are selected or not.

selected by what, where?

  And can I hide child nodes if the p=arent node is not selected?

xslt doesn't interact with the browser at all (even if you
are using a client side xslt that's in the browser) it just
generates an html page that is then rendered, so if you know
what css and/or javascript you need to get whatever dynamic
effect that you want, then you can generate that code in
xslt, but xslt doesn't "know" anyting about css or javascript
(or html) it's just generating an element tree, and the
javascript is just text as fas as xslt is concerned.

David

--~--

--~--