xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XSLT WYSIWYG WEB Editor

2006-12-15 11:25:54
On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 11:10:50 -0500, Wendell Piez <wapiez(_at_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com> wrote:

Potentially, there also exists the equivalent of "canned" XSLT much as someone might sell you canned chicken soup, which you could just warm up on the stove and not have to cook yourself (though some might consider even that to be "cooking"). This might appear as a web-form-based interface allowing users to tweak settings which would generate XSLT in back, which could then be run. But just as when, if you buy chicken soup in a can you can only have chicken soup (and it might not even be very good soup), so also, such XSLT would have to be fairly limited in application. Also, contriving and configuring such a system is the work of real experts (the UI design would be non-trivial, to say nothing of the integration), just as corporations that sell processed food have professional chefs and chemists working for them. This doesn't make it useless -- canned soup is a good thing -- but it does mean that it isn't something you can exactly buy off the shelf and plug in. It requires real engineering to set it up properly even if someone else has already built the "canning equipment". Accordingly, the market for this kind of web application has been slow to develop.

Yep. We do this with our CMS and when I talk to someone it is the first thing I bring up. That is, "we thought XSL was a great thing (and still do) but you probably do not have the staff or access to consultants to be able to handle it yourself."

When I thought about our business model in 2000, I thought we were putting the ability of a clean separation in the hands of the client. But the best results we have seen have used us as the XSL/webapp producer (who would guess that using your own product in the way you want would work :). I don't say this to gather market - rather as an admission that we have not accomplished what we set out to.

Truly, I am sorry to admit this. We have tried to provide basic XSL that in turn provides basic HTML to be styled by CSS, but, it turns out (at least for now) that people cannot deal with it.

As for the cooking analogy: Even though I am not a chef, I can live on kraft (or annie's) macaroni and cheese. You just add a can of tuna. You should use way less butter/margerine than they suggest (you want to be able to get a bunch on your fork rather than letting it slither off). And if you want to make it a delicacy, add some cream cheese and sardines. Oooohh. My wife will beat me for this post.

-Rob

If you could build such a system successfully and then generalize it so others could install, configure and use it more easily than they could learn to use XSLT, you'd have a chance to get really rich.

Cheers,
Wendell

Wendell Piez
--~--