xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XSLT-related Links/News of Interest

2007-02-05 16:21:02
On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 17:06:27 -0500, M. David Peterson <m(_dot_)david(_at_)mdptws(_dot_)com> wrote:

via Kurt Cagle @ http://www.oreillynet.com/xml/blog/2007/02/the_horserace_gets_exciting_xs.html

I’m sure this is going to get blogged almost immediately, but I’ll just add my two cents here - Microsoft has formally announced that with the publication of the XSLT 2.0 Recommendation the XML Team has commenced working on a new XSLT 2.0 implementation that will be available as part of the .NET platform, with the very real possibility that it will also be folded into the Internet Explorer browser.

So that last part threw me, as this was the first time I had heard mention of XSLT 2.0 and IE. But in researching this a bit further,

via http://blogs.msdn.com/xmlteam/archive/2007/01/29/xslt-2-0.aspx#1584808

We are discussing whether to implement XSLT2 in the native stack (MSXML3 and MSXML6). The needs of IE are the biggest consideration (it uses the native libraries), and we will definitely coordinate with the IE team.

I have been spending a good deal of time in the browser world and wonder if this is the best place for MS to place their bet. I mean I see a very small amount of interest in client side XSL (even though I use it alot). What I am seeing is a bunch of ajax toolkits trying to find fast ways to navigate HTML (not even XHTML) in the browser efficiently. Firefox, Opera and Webkit are developing HTML XPath. Of course the 80% browser has the lead, but more and more browser devs are going to really like HTML XPath. There will be XPath hacks created for IE, but it will operate much more slooowly. As rich browser apps become more prevalent people might notice the difference??

Does anyone know if HTML XPath is in the works for IE?

best,
-Rob