xsl-list

RE: [xsl] xsl:function vs named templates (Which is better?)

2007-03-14 15:30:15
So I have a fairly general question. I am using XSLT 2.0 and
am interested in creating user defined functions. Which
construct is better to use... xsl:function or a named template?

I tend to use functions when the purpose is to compute a value that the
program wants to make use of, and templates when the purpose is to write
data to the result document. In practice I use named templates very rarely
with XSLT 2.0.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/