xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Lookup tables

2007-03-16 08:38:57
Hi,

Keys may be useful to Kamal, but I haven't seen anything in his first post to suggest to me he can't use a simple global variable binding:

<xsl:variable name="lookup" select="//Lookup/Parameter"/>

<xsl:template ...>
<xsl:variable name="looked-up-value" select="$lookup[(_at_)key='key-to-lookup']"/>
</xsl:template>

This is, in effect, a key, without having to use the full key function apparatus.

Simpler is generally better, until it doesn't do the job.

Cheers,
Wendell

My company is designing XML specifically for XSLT processing. A question that has come up is the use of lookup tables. We have a lot of repeated data, and our system architect would like that data put in a "lookup table" at the top of the XML. By lookup table I mean XML with some key that can be identified. The only way I can think of processing this XML in XSLT 1.0 (without a lot of '..') is to use something like

ancestor::node()//LookUp/Parameter[(_at_)key = 'key_to_lookup'].

Wendell Piez