xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Templates for different kinds of tags?

2007-03-22 11:40:49
At 2007-03-22 19:19 +0100, Thomas Zastrow wrote:
I'm not so familiar with XSL, please be patient ;-)

I think you will find people on this list very patient for those who are eager to learn.

I have a XML-document (not HTML) with tables like this:

So, I have three templates for them:

<xsl:template match="table">
<xsl:template match="tr">
<xsl:template match="td">

Now, I want to use different kinds of tables in my XML-doc like

Depending on the style-attribut, I can change the template-code for <table> with xsl:choose.

I would not recommend using <xsl:choose> unless the differences are very small and most of the template would be the same for both cases.

But, the <tr>- and <td>-tags are still the same code, so, they will always use the same templates. But I also want to change the code for tr and td, depending on the style of the complete table.

Is this possible or have I to write the xsl:choose - statement again in the tr- and in the td-templates?

Without more detail of your problem, my hunch is that you would just do something like this:

<xsl:template match="table[(_at_)style='simple']">
<xsl:template match="table[(_at_)style='xyz']">
<xsl:template match="table[(_at_)style='simple']/tr">
<xsl:template match="table[(_at_)style='xyz']/tr">
<xsl:template match="table[(_at_)style='simple']/tr/td">
<xsl:template match="table[(_at_)style='xyz']/tr/td">

In this fashion you are allowing the processor to optimize the matching. My XSLT students who come to class with a programming background tend to latch onto those facilities they are used to using as programmers without realizing there are built-in facilities that declare what they need done so that the processor can choose to do them as best as it sees fit.

Note that in a match pattern the right-most node test identifies the node being matched and the detail in the steps to the left qualify the ancestry (typically) of the focus node test.

I hope this helps.

G. Ken Holman                 mailto:gkholman(_at_)CraneSoftwrights(_dot_)com
Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc