xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Use same xml file with different XSL stylesheets

2007-03-28 09:14:43
I am not using IE to do the XSL transformation.

Right now I am using XMLSpy to create the files.

The base xml file will be created from data in a Database, at the time the XML is created (base.xml) I would like to create base_01.xml and base_02.xml that include the stylesheets with the transformations.

I could easily create the three files containing all the data and they will work, but I would like to know if there is a way to reference base.xml from both base_01.xml and base_02.xml to save space.

This is just for space saving shake, it is not required for my plan to work.

Thanks.

From: cknell(_at_)onebox(_dot_)com
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [xsl] Use same xml file with different XSL stylesheets
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:02:06 -0400

This is another good reason to avoid having IE do the XSL Transformation.

Please describe the system that generates and displays your data.

For example:

1) Data in database.
2) SQL query returns data as XML
3) XSLT Processor applies a stylesheet to XML to produce HTML
4) HTML is served to browser

I expect your setup doesn't divide the concerns so neatly, and this failure to separate concerns, while it seems like a slick and time-saving answer, results in a constricted, inflexible architecture.

Someone may have a work-around to your problem, but it will only delay the time when you have to address the real issue.

--
Charles Knell
cknell(_at_)onebox(_dot_)com - email