xsl-list

Re: RE: [xsl] Use same xml file with different XSL stylesheets

2007-03-28 10:01:29
I could easily create the three files containing all the data and they will
work, but I would like to know if there is a way to reference base.xml from
both base_01.xml and base_02.xml to save space.

External entity references, though the only browser that supports them is IE,
though come to think of it, I've never tested Safari, and given their
implementation is based on libxslt (which is built on libxml), I assume Safari
would then provide support as well.  Will test to find out, but I do know for a
fact that the latest releases of both Opera and Firefox don't support external
entity references.

The other way to do this is to use the document function and include
base_01.xml an base_02.xml as references inside of base.xml (e.g. <foo><include
href="base_01.xml"/><include href="base_02.xml"/></foo> and then iterate over
the include elements, and apply-templates to the documents contained in @href.
The only browser this will not work with at the moment is Opera as there is no
support for document function, and as of the latest 9.2 beta (released this
morning) there is still no support, though through sources inside of Opera,
this list has gained "insider knowledge" to the fact that they plan support for
the document function in some future release.

--
/M:D

M. David Peterson
http://mdavid.name | http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2354 |