xsl-list

Re: [xsl] xpath analyser in XSL-T 1 or 2

2007-04-02 07:36:11

This sounds like a promising approach. When I first saw the address I
thought it would have something to do with monetDB xquery,

MONET was a EU funded research project for Mathematics ON the WEB, the
project's gone but the web server is still there and NAG was kind enough
to let me use it.

Do an Xquery with Xpath X, pass Xpath X  to the Xq2xml get back xml,

Yes, that part isn't really me/xq2xml it's a built in feature (which was
added at my request) of the xquery/xpath parsers provided by the working
groups (Scott Boag, mainly)
http://www.w3.org/2005/qt-applets/xqueryApplet.html

from there on. you may not want any of the xq2xml code at all, but just
use MY stylesheets as an example, for example

http://monet.nag.co.uk/xq2xml//index.html#s6

is a stylesheet that removes any references to optional (in xquery) axes
such as preceding::, replacing

$y/preceding::*[2]/string(@i)

by
  $y/
(let $here := . return
   reverse(root()/descendant::*[. << $here][not(descendant::node()[. is
$here])]))
[2]/string(@i)

which is essentially just a single template

<xsl:template match="StepExpr[ReverseAxis/data='preceding']">

(let $here := . return
   reverse(root()/descendant::
<xsl:apply-templates select="NodeTest"/>
[. << $here][not(descendant::node()[. is $here])]))
<xsl:apply-templates select="* except (ReverseAxis|NodeTest)"/>
</xsl:template>

David