xsl-list

RE: [xsl] XSLT Dead?

2007-04-16 11:54:03
To quote Mark Twain, "The rumors of my death have been greatly
exaggerated"

For data-based XML content, like RDF or SOAP, perhaps XQuery (already
built in to the XSLT 2.0 standard) is the more appropriate approach in
most cases.  However... for narrative-based content (DocBook, DITA, even
ODF for example), I believe that XSLT is the way to go, ceterus paribus.
I've gone down the road of building XQuery for DocBook, and quickly
turned the other way.

The last I heard (about a month ago), even Microsoft has changed their
tune a bit and promised an XSLT 2.0 compliant processor (not sure when,
so with all pronouncements, don't hold your breath just yet). Having an
800-pound gorilla acknowledge that there is a need for this seems to
suggest that there's plenty of life left in XSLT.

Jim Earley
XML Developer/Consultant
Flatirons Solutions
4747 Table Mesa Drive