xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XSLT Dead?

2007-04-18 11:37:39
I was reflecting back on your post and realized after poking around in
Wikipedia that no programming language dies (may be a very few/rare).

I see Fortran 2003 and now they're developing Fortran 2008 , same with
COBOL - now there's COBOL 2002.

We were taught C, Fortran, COBOL, MASM, Prolog, Lisp etc in school and
when I graduated I thought no one will ever use C and that it was
replaced by other languages like Java - but now many years later I'm
proven wrong.

I've heard that Unix/Linux are written in C and C continues to be used
in many jobs even today. Many games including current popular games
are written in C++

In every programming language's forum occasionally I see posts like

"Is xxx programming language dead?"  or a post like "This tool is not
good, other tools are better"

But no matter what posts people make the programming language / tool
continues to grow and improve and doesn't die.

-Rashmi

On 4/16/07, Katie Kearns <katie(_dot_)kearns(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
On 4/16/07, Rashmi Rubdi <rashmi(_dot_)sub(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
> Each programming language is suited for a purpose, so use the
> programming language that *you* know well and that accomplishes the
> task easily.
>
> It would be insane to transform an XML doc into HTML with Java, or ASP
> - why not use a language that transforms it naturally?

I agree. I mean, I bet people would say FORTRAN is dead (and has been
for a while), but it's still quite alive and used in scientific areas.

XSLT may not be a buzzword anymore, but I don't think people will stop
using it this year.

-Katie

--~--