xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XML parser accesses Internet, why?

2007-05-05 09:33:07
On 5/5/07, Michael Kay <mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com> wrote:

> Why would the Java XML parser under Saxon8.7.1J need to
> access the internet?
>
> Error on line 3 column 62 of file:/C:/aa-xml/hltapi/MLD.ori.html:
>     SXXP0003: Error reported by XML parser: Cannot read from
>     http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd
> (www.w3.org)

If your XML document references a DTD then the XML parser in general will
need a copy of the DTD. Unless it's clever and can find a cached copy, it
will follow the URI reference and fetch it.

(This is nothing to do with XSLT or Saxon, by the way)

I agree, my plain text editor jEdit also sometimes shows a message to
connect to the Internet to download a DTD. There may be other editors
or IDEs with the same functionality.
I wouldn't be paranoid about it :-)

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/