xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Todays technical challenge

2007-06-13 02:55:41
On 6/13/07, Matt <puskas(_dot_)duck(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
Must admit I'm enjoying my first XSL project - my report is almost
complete, until a googly is thrown down! (Cricket term!)

In the report I produce there are a variable number of pages,
depending on overflows ie. if there are more than 30 transactions, a
new page is spawned. This page number it turns out is very important
as its used as the starting point for the next time a report is
produced.

So what I need to be able to do is take the final page number from XSL
template ( $pageNo parameter) and update my Oracle database table with
this value.

From experience I'd rather avoid using file system upload/downloads -
is there anyway I can create a function (unix shell, java etc..) which
can do this update.

Probably the most straightforward approach is to reparse the result
XML after its been serialized and count the pages using an XMLFilter,
an XPath or another transform.

Alternatively you could try Saxon's SQL entension:

http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/sql-extension/intro.html

There are other more involved ways if either of these aren't sufficient...