xsl-list

RE: [xsl] grouping nesting items, including following items

2007-06-19 08:42:34
Mike,

Thanks. I won't have time to look at this until
tonight. Hopefully I'll be able to put it all together
then.

Don
--- Michael Kay <mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com> wrote:

A tricky one, it has come up before but I don't
think it will be easy to
find the thread. On that occasion I think the break
was indicated by a
<newpage/> element that could appear at any depth,
but the principle is the
same.

I think the basic approach is this. When processing
a <point> that contains
a descendant <newpage/>, you need to split it into
two <point> elements, the
first containing everything before the <newpage/>,
the second containing
everything after. And it also applies recursively,
of course, to the
children. So it's something like this:

<xsl:template match="point">
  <xsl:copy-of select="."/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="point[descendant::newpage]">
  <xsl:variable name="this" select="."/>
  <xsl:variable name="np"
select="descendant::newpage[1]"/>
  <point id="{(_at_)id}" part="1">
    <xsl:apply-templates select="child::node()[. <<
$np or (. intersect
$np/ancestor::node())]"/>
  </point>
  <newpage/>
  <xsl:variable name="remainder as="element(point)">
    <point id="{(_at_)id}" part="{1+position()}">
      <xsl:copy-of select="$this/child::node()[. >>
$np or (. intersect
$np/ancestor::node())]"/>
    </point>
  </xsl:variable>
  <xsl:apply-templates select="$remainder"/>
</xsl:template>

This basically creates a structure in which the
<newpage/> elements are
propogated to the top level, and every ancestor of a
<newpage/> element is
duplicated either side of this element, but with
unsplit <point> elements
appearing one side or the other. You've then got a
simpler second stage of
processing in which the pages are identified at the
top level (quite
possibly you can do this in the same pass but I
think it's useful to get the
basic splitting logic right first).

I've used some 2.0 constructs here (and for clarity
I've used the << and >>
operators without escaping) but they can probably
all be translated into 1.0
equivalents with a bit of ingenuity and verbosity.

You can probably substitute point[newSlide='true']
for my <newpage/>
elements, it will add a little bit of extra
complexity. I'd suggest getting
this working on a simplified version of the problem
first and when you've
got something that works, extend it to handle the
real problem.

This is untested and almost certainly contains bugs,
but I hope the general
idea comes across.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/