xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Dynamic pipelining in XSLT 2.0 w/ Saxon extensions

2007-06-19 08:47:16
On 6/19/07, Florent Georges <darkman_spam(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)fr> wrote:
Andrew Welch wrote:

  Hi

> It does write out each stage of the processing but this is
> definitely A Good Thing in my book

  In the developer point of view yes, that's a Good Thing.
But that depends on the project I think.  In a former
project, I had to apply a few steps to the input in order to
get the final document.  The transformation was launched by
the user, and he had to wait for the result in order to go
further in the workflow.

  Of course, as an interactive application, the performance
was not as important, but dumping the intermediate trees
each time was too eavy (ok, the bigger gain was of course
obtained by caching the compiled stylesheets).

Often each stage of the pipeline relies on many (or all) of the input
files being at that stage, so in that case they really do need to be
written out.

Kernow does several things to make directory transforms as fast as
possible - compiling stylesheets, caching resolvers etc.  I/O as a
bottleneck comes quite far down the list after fetching DTDs from the
net etc.  I'll get around to making the directory operations
multithreaded too which should improve it even further.