xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Dynamic pipelining in XSLT 2.0 w/ Saxon extensions

2007-06-19 08:02:16
Hi Andrew,

At 04:55 AM 6/19/2007, you wrote:
> * Are there any obvious pitfalls or problems with this
> approach? (Or any not so obvious?) How does it compare to
> other methods?

I'm inclined to think that a general purpose pipeline processor will do the
job better. It's likely to have memory management that's better adapted to
this kind of work, and debugging facilities to examine the documents at any
stage of the pipeline or to switch validation of intermediate steps on and
off, etc. If you're lucky it might even allow distributed or asynchronous
execution of the pipeline.

Does XProc fit here?

http://www.w3.org/TR/xproc/  (or http://xproc.org)

Yes, it certainly does. (Of course it's work in progress.)

As an aside,  if your architecture is batch transforming directories,
where multiple transforms are performed in sequence, then Kernow [1]
might be a good fit.

Yes, it is, frequently. I use Kernow quite happily for many sorts of things.

As to Ant, I've also used it, and will use it again.

It's certainly the case that the various tradeoffs can be subtle.

Cheers,
Wendell

Wendell Piez