xsl-list

Re: [xsl] <quote>XSL is NOT easy</quote>

2007-06-25 22:26:16
On 6/26/07, Karl Stubsjoen <kstubs(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
Okay, I do not understand:  just where and when did XSLT get such a
bum rap?

It's a classic argument and a recurring theme on this list. I think
it's safe to say that XSLT sucks when you have no clue, and is
excelent when you do. The people most likely to whinge about it are
people who's not familiar with it and are in a hurry, where in reality
the whinge about their own prospects more than the language itself.
The people most likely to like / love it are people who deal with a
lot of XML (and especially in transformations) quite frequently.

I can understand people not liking it; the best XSLT is declarative
(IMHO), a mental shift for most programmers, just like working closer
with the XML standard is (document centric with id's and idref's as
opposed to use it as a pure data exchange format).

Of course, I'm one of those who love it, so I'm heavily biased. I've
loved it for years (since 2000, I think), using it for pretty much
anything that has to do with XML. I am myself allergic to XML API's as
they, in my humble opinion, add too much bloat around moving bits of
markup around, but then again, my latest beast is an XSLT framework
that simulates ... er, XSLT, including an XPath parser (not fully
conformant), creating a dynamic templating system within a templating
system, so perhaps I'm not the best to speak about bloat. Ah, don't
you just love declarative programming?

Alex