xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XTDE1490 and using the Saxon transformer multiple times

2007-06-26 08:35:03
Hi Norman,

I don't have an answer for you, but just out of curiosity, I was wondering, why don't you use the collection() function and / or input parameters with xsl:result-document? I.e., suppose $input contains a comma-separated list of input documents, relative to the xslt stylesheet base href, you could do:

<xsl:for-each select="tokenize($input, ',')">
   <xsl:result-document href="{., '-res'}">
       <xsl:apply-templates select="document($input)" />
   </xsl:result-document>
</xsl:for-each>

-- Abel

Norman Gray wrote:

Greetings.

I'm getting an error (XTDE1490) when I use the Saxon 8.9 Transformer multiple times.

It's not obvious to me what I'm doing wrong, the explanation of XTDE1490 at [1] doesn't apply, and there's no obvious insight in the list archive for the various searches I've tried.

My (complete) test program is

import javax.xml.transform.*;
import javax.xml.transform.stream.StreamSource;
import javax.xml.transform.stream.StreamResult;
public class SaxonTry {
        String xsltFile = "identity.xslt";
        Source[] sources = new Source[args.length];
        Result[] results = new Result[args.length];
        for (int i=0; i<args.length; i++) {
            sources[i] = new StreamSource(args[i]);
            results[i] = new StreamResult(args[i]+"-res");
        }
        try {
            Transformer trans = TransformerFactory.newInstance()
                    .newTransformer(new StreamSource(xsltFile));
            for (int i=0; i<args.length; i++) {
System.err.println("Transforming: " + sources[i].getSystemId()
                                   + " -> " + results[i].getSystemId());
                trans.transform(sources[i], results[i]);
            }
        } catch (Exception e) {
            System.err.println("Exception: " + e);
        }
    }
}

The identity.xslt is the usual XSLT identity transform.

Running this with the default transformer works fine:

% CLASSPATH=. java SaxonTry test-in{1,2}.xml
Transforming: test-in1.xml -> test-in1.xml-res
Transforming: test-in2.xml -> test-in2.xml-res
%

and produces two output files as expected. Using the Saxon 8.9 transformer, however, produces errors:

% CLASSPATH=$T/saxon-8.9/saxon8.jar:. java \
-Djavax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory=net.sf.saxon.TransformerFactoryImpl \
  SaxonTry test-in1.xml test-in2.xml
Warning: at xsl:transform on line 3 of file:///Volumes/Lagrange/checkouts/me/code/misc/identity.xslt:
  Running an XSLT 1.0 stylesheet with an XSLT 2.0 processor
Transforming: test-in1.xml -> test-in1.xml-res
Transforming: test-in2.xml -> test-in2.xml-res
Error at xsl:copy on line 6 of file:///Volumes/Lagrange/checkouts/me/code/misc/identity.xslt: XTDE1490: Cannot write an implicit result document if an explicit result document has been
  written to the same URI: test-in1.xml-res
Exception: net.sf.saxon.trans.DynamicError: Cannot write an implicit result document if an explicit result document has been written to the same URI: test-in1.xml-res
%

There's no result-document element in the identity transformation, but there's no need for once, since the javax.xml.transform.Transformer.transform() method is being given explicit Source and Result arguments.

The javax.xml.transform.Transformer documentation[2] indicates that the Transformer `may be used multiple times', and that it `may then be used to process XML from a variety of sources and write the transformation output to a variety of sinks.' That certainly suggests that I _ought_ to be able to do what I'm doing by reusing the Transformer with multiple Sources and Results. What appears to be happening, however, is that the Saxon Transformer is attempting to use the first Result for both transformations (or something like that).

I've looked at Templates, but as far as I can tell from the javadocs, the only issue there is that a Template is thread-safe, and so can produce multiple (unsafe) Transformers implementing a single transformation, which can themselves be used in separate threads. But that's not my situation here.

Am I doing something dim?

Thanks for any pointers.  Best wishes,

Norman

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#err-XTDE1490