xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XTDE1490 and using the Saxon transformer multiple times

2007-06-26 09:17:49

Michael, hello.

On 2007 Jun 26 , at 15.45, Michael Kay wrote:

I'll look into this as soon as I can - but Saxon-specific questions are best
asked on the Saxon list.

Apologies -- I hadn't noticed the Saxon list, but I've subscribed now. Will I repost the question there? Or is there a bugparade you'd like me to log this on?

I normally recommend people not to reuse a Transformer, it's simplest to
create a new one for each transformation.

I want to transform a largeish number of XML instances (a few thousand) at a time, and so want to avoid repeatedly recompiling the XSLT script. I suppose an alternative would be to create a Template, and repeatedly create a Transformer from that. That would be quite cheap, yes?

In my specific case, I sometimes have to pass parameters to the transformation, so they'd have to be set on each Transformer instance retrieved from a Template, rather than once-and-for-all on a reused Transformer; that's starting to get quite messy.

Abel Braaksma wrote:

I don't have an answer for you, but just out of curiosity, I was wondering, why don't you use the collection() function and / or input parameters with xsl:result-document?

Thanks for the suggestion. It looks interesting, but in this case the stylesheet isn't under my control, so I have to take what I'm given....

Wæs þu hale,

Norman