xsl-list

[xsl] Wrap and XSL in XSL-FO (server side PDF creation)

2007-07-05 11:32:58
Hi All

We have an application that transforms XML to HTML using XSL (1.0). It
is an ASP app and we use .NET and VB a lot

We need to convert that HTML to PDF (on demand from client). The style
sheets we use are very complex and it looks like it would be a
considerable amount of work to redo them (there are dozens) with FO.

I read a few articles and tutorials on FO and there doesn't seem to be
an easy way to wrap the existing output in FO.

For example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?><fo:root
xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";>

<fo:layout-master-set>
  <fo:simple-page-master master-name="Letter">
    <fo:region-body />
  </fo:simple-page-master>
</fo:layout-master-set>

<fo:page-sequence master-reference="Letter">
  <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
    <!-- Insert existing XSL here -->
  </fo:flow>
</fo:page-sequence></fo:root>

The ONLY reasons to look at FO are:

- Server-side PDF creation
- Better control of page sizes and basic layout (margins, headers,
footers). Everything would be a single flow.

Maybe there's another tool out there.

TIA

Mark