xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Understanding why <tag></tag> is the way it is (was Re: [xsl] IE Client side transformation issue)

2007-08-03 07:09:14
At 2007-08-03 14:47 +0100, Andrew Welch wrote:
On 8/3/07, G. Ken Holman <gkholman(_at_)cranesoftwrights(_dot_)com> wrote:
> But in the production job where I experienced this the output was
> going to 10,000 desktops with unknown browsers.
>
> Having to code around the browser bug was bad enough ... influencing
> the writing of standard specifications around browser bugs is going too far.

It didn't push you far enough to do it on the server then...?

Seriously though, for "10,000 desktops with unknown browsers" I
would've made the call very early on to do it serverside, regardless
of the "browser bug".

10,000 desktops with client-side rendering of the transformed result: local editing and local preview before posting to the server for distribution. There were no constraints on which browser was on the desktop.

Surely the comment hack didn't go down well...

In fact, since it was invisible, it went down quite well.

--
Upcoming public training: XSLT/XSL-FO Sep 10, UBL/code lists Oct 1
G. Ken Holman                 mailto:gkholman(_at_)CraneSoftwrights(_dot_)com