xsl-list

RE: [xsl] [XSL] XSL Browser Integration

2007-09-13 15:03:53
-----Original Message-----
From: Colin Adams [mailto:colinpauladams(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com]
From: Robert Koberg <rob(_at_)koberg(_dot_)com>

On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 16:28 -0500, Scott Trenda wrote:
Just to check, is it at all possible to pass parameters to a
transform
initiated through a <?xml-stylesheet?> PI at the top of an XML
document?
I was curious about this some time ago; it seemed logical to me at
the
time that URL parameters to an XML document should be available to
the
stylesheet.

It does seem like an obvious thing, but the answer is that it is not
possible.

I'm not so sure about that. Mozilla have anounced something, I seem to
remember.

That's cool and all, but from a functional point of view, in order for
it to be useful it would need to be well-supported (i.e. already
implemented. No pun intended.)

I seem to remember reading something about setting up Apache for a
server-side transform of the same nature; for display purposes, that
seems like a natural behavior (transforming the document at the server
if it's XML and has a <?xml-stylesheet?> PI), but then you'd lose the
original XML data behind it if, say, you were trying to retrieve its
contents via a document() call in another stylesheet.

We kind of skipped the first part of the question, though - is there any
way to pass a top-level parameter into a stylesheet via the
<?xml-stylesheet?> PI? That could be useful in itself.

~ Scott