xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Future of XSL Stylesheet Writing?

2007-09-28 02:59:05
I remember reading that chips are on the horizon that can take
instructions from a single thread, identify which ones can be
safetly run in parallel and then run them concurrently.

Well, there's been an element of that kind of parallelism (processor
pipelining and instruction lookahead) for years - but no doubt it will keep
getting smarter.

But I agree, writing in XSLT seems a pretty good way to make sure your
programs can take advantage of parallelism. Compilers may not do it today,
but they will pretty soon. A language without assignment statements has a
great advantage when it comes to parallel execution.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/