xsl-list

Re: [xsl] xsltproc and file names

2007-11-04 05:40:27
Tommy Nordgren wrote:
Version info:
emac$ xsltproc -V
Using libxml 20626, libxslt 10117 and libexslt 813
xsltproc was compiled against libxml 20626, libxslt 10117 and libexslt 813
libxslt 10117 was compiled against libxml 20626
libexslt 813 was compiled against libxml 20626
Work Directory: ~ :
I am new to xsl. I need to find out the following info, which I have been unable to locate in
the list archive.
How do I generate an output file name in an xsl stylesheet?

You can't in XSLT 1.0. You can in XSLT 2.0, but then you will have to switch processors to Saxon 8.9 (open source for B-version), Gestalt (open source) or AltovaXML (free, proprietary).

And how can I test if an attritue of an element matches the output file name?

Again, you can't in 1.0. In 2.0 it would be something like:

  <xsl:if test="$output-filename = @my-attribute">
      do something if it matches
  </xsl:if>

and you can write the output document doing:

  <xsl:result-document href="{$output-filename}">
       the instructions that go into this result doc
  </xsl:result-document>

HTH,
Cheers,
-- Abel Braaksma

PS: of course, if you are stuck with XSLT 1.0, it shouldn't be too hard to add a meta tag to your output document (i.e., a PI instruction) which would hold the name of your target file. Then, in your workflow logic, you read this name and you use it to rename the target file.