xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Problem with xsl:template using XSLT 1.0

2007-12-03 15:55:11
Scott Trenda wrote:

  Hi

That's a decent philosophy, but the real-world problem is
that you usually have large chunks of data within your
source document that you don't want in your output.

  First I didn't say that was THE answer.  But that's a way
of developing with XSLT that one doesn't have usualy when
coming from imperative languages, and that helps to fight
complexity.

  Of course the point is not to not control what the
stylesheet does, but to define what it does in places that
ease maintainability.

If you apply-templates to all children indiscriminately
when you only actually want to process a certain subset of
child nodes, then you have a high probability that the
built-in templates will catch that unwanted data,
resulting in unwanted text everywhere in your result,
interspersed with the text you did want.

  If the default template rules don't do what you want,
don't use them.

Also, as I had said in the previous response, template
match patterns must be context-free. If you need to select
a node-set that requires a context, you're limited to
apply-templates.

  I must confess I don't understand this paragraph.

  Regards,

--drkm