xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Use of data() function

2008-03-05 03:31:49

...which is a bit odd to me at the moment.  It seems a bit of
an artificial restriction.

The basis for the distinction is the theory that with mixed content, it
makes sense to treat the markup as mere decoration of the text, whereas with
element-only content, concatenating the children is a meaningless operation.
In both cases I think the assumption is probably correct 95% of the time,
and in the 5% of cases where it's wrong, the rule doesn't do much harm.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/