xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Slow XSLT

2008-03-13 10:09:30
Hi David,

I have noticed that the rendering can take a long time
for a long table. Therefore, I am measuring only the
time to transform not render.

I will also take into account your suggestion to use
fixed length for the width of columns. But for now I
am only worried about improving the performance of the
transformation.

In my previous email, I asked you what you thought
about using keys. Don't you think this could improve
the transformation? The problem is that I cannot
figure out what key to produce. Do you have any ideas?

Cheers

--- David Carlisle <davidc(_at_)nag(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:

it still takes 7 seconds to transform in IE and
Firefox.

is that to do the transform or to render it?

If you are generating a large table then it can take
a long time to
render. Do the transform using saxon or some other
command line
processor to generate an html file and see how long
it takes to render
that. (It's often possible to speed up table
rendering by telling teh
css system that it has a fixed layout with fixed
width columns, so that
it can do progressive rendering rather than wait
until the end to
calculate widths,

I was wondering if using KEYS it would help to
improve
the transformation?

probably nor, the only thing I noticed that might be
inefficient is

  <xsl:template match="Cell[not(*)]">
    <xsl:for-each select="/Report/Measures/Measure">
    </xsl:for-each>
  </xsl:template>

which does the same pass over the top of the
document repeatedly, that
could be written as

  <xsl:template match="Cell[not(*)]">
    <xsl:copy-of select=""blankcell"/>
  </xsl:template>

  <xsl:variable name="blankcell">
    <xsl:for-each select="/Report/Measures/Measure">
    </xsl:for-each>
  </xsl:variable>

 David

The Numerical Algorithms Group Ltd is a company
registered in England
and Wales with company number 1249803. The
registered office is:
Wilkinson House, Jordan Hill Road, Oxford OX2 8DR,
United Kingdom.

This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by
Star. The service is