xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Self-closing elements upset some browsers

2008-03-14 06:35:47

Thanks David, Martin and Ken,

I am importing legacy into a 3rd party tool and I find my self in the
situation where I need valid XHTML _and_ end-tags - this is not my decision.
I tried using the <xsl:output method="html"> but it inserts <meta> without a
closing tag and the file becomes invalid xml and subsequently fails to
import.

So, for this import stage, I'll be going with Ken's suggestion that I insert
a <xsl:comment />.

However, we're also having problems with the output from the system creating
empty <a> tags for bookmarks. I can switch to method="html" there and give
it a try. Those pages would only be exhibited in browsers anyway and so it
doesn't need to be valid xhtml.

Incidentally David, the problem with empty script elements, that is <script
href="" /> style, was exhibited by Firefox. It basically missed the end-tag
and assumed everything was script until the closing tag of an actual
non-empty script further down the file. It (very usefully) also showed this
behaviour in the syntax highlighting of it's source viewer.

Thanks again,
Richard