xsl-list

RE: [xsl] XSL 2.0 - value-of - xml:space="preserve"

2008-04-04 03:59:55

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 12:20 +0800, Michael Kay wrote:
The fact that this affects the
XSL transformation output seems like a bug.

No, it's not a bug. The XML specification is quite clear that
xml:space="preserve" is there to tell the application that whitespace text
nodes are significant. The application in this case is XSLT, and it's taking
you at your word.

Apologies for being dense and dragging this on, but I seem to have a
fundamental misunderstanding. Can you or someone else explain where the
whitespace is with regard to the xsl:value-of in something like:

<script xml:space="preserve"/>
  <xsl:variable name="my-var">
    <xsl:choose>
      <xsl:when test="true()">1</xsl:when>
      <xsl:otherwise>2</xsl:otherwise>
    </xsl:choose>
  </xsl:variable>
  var myvar=<xsl:value-of select="$my-var" separator=""/>;
</script>

To my eyes, there is no whitespace around the xsl:value-of and the
application is *not* taking me at my word.

thanks,
-Rob

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/