xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XSLT functions for JSON

2008-05-18 14:01:46
On Sun, 18 May 2008 14:42:40 -0600, Jesper Tverskov <jesper(_at_)tverskov(_dot_)dk> wrote:

It seems that the JavaScript at this site,
http://www.terracoder.com/,
is doing a pretty good job of transforming XML to JSON.

Going from XML to JSON or JSON to XML isn't necessarily the problem. Isn't going from one to the other and then back again without a translation layer in between that's the problem, as far I am understanding the topic at hand correctly.

Sad that we don't have something similar in XSLT,  supposed to be a
programming language dedicated to XML transformation. Why do we need
JavaScript to transform XML?

You don't. You can take XML and convert it to whatever format you want, as long as you are willing to accept the fact that there are cases, such as arrays, where there will be a non-standard translation which disables you to go back to JSON without a translation layer that specfies the syntax used during the translation.

--
/M:D

M. David Peterson
Co-Founder & Chief Architect, 3rd&Urban, LLC
Email: m(_dot_)david(_at_)3rdandUrban(_dot_)com |
m(_dot_)david(_at_)amp(_dot_)fm
Mobile: (206) 999-0588
http://3rdandUrban.com | http://amp.fm | http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2354