xsl-list

Re: [xsl] <xsl:copy-of select="." /> removes (or converts) line breaks in text of child nodes.

From: "John Ericson"
Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2008 9:02 PM

From: "David Carlisle"
Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2008 6:11 PM

My problem is that my new xml-files produced by XSL removes the line breaks from the text in my <field name="content">....</field> nodes when I use a
<xsl:copy-of select="." />.

the information that you have ^M^J (MSDOS) linebreaks is gone before
XSLT even starts, the XML XML spec mandates that an XML parser
normalises any of ^M, ^M^J and ^J to a  ^J (#10) character.

Similar;y when serialising, a system can outbreak line ends in any of
these forms, although it seems most just use ^J always.

If your later application needs dos line ends it may be simplest just to
run something like unix2dos over the generated file.

David

I tried that but unfortunately it didn't do the trick. When I was at it I also tried to manually insert ^M chars in vim and load the file in mysql but that didn't help either. I tried changing the file to more appear like another working one but still couldn't get it to load with line breaks.

It seems mysql is very picky with the files it wants to load.

I've looked some more into this and from what I can tell, this isn't an XSL issue. Instead I suspect that mysql doesn't understand how to handle line breaks in multi line fields. I've created a minimal file that showed up correct in vim and I can't get mysql to load it properly, that is retaining the line breaks.

So I have registered a bug against mysql that can be found here: http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=36750

Hope this message can prevent someone else from going through the effort I did :-) Thanks for your help!