xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Printing CDATA from feed as HTML

2008-06-13 02:11:39
2008/6/13 Colin Paul Adams <colin(_at_)colina(_dot_)demon(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>:
"Colin" == Colin Paul Adams
<colin(_at_)colina(_dot_)demon(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> writes:
Hm. Maybe not.

There is a portability problem here, in that there is a dependency
upon the Unicode encoding form used by the implementation.

For instance, Gestalt currently uses UTF-8, so you need to specify:

data:application.xml; charset=UTF-8

but I am currently re-engineering it to use UTF-32 (amongst other
changes), and so there is a problem.

Now the implementation would be able to supply the actual encoding
using a higher level protocol (something internal to the
implementation of fn:doc()). You then have a clash between the
labelled encoding, and the encoding supplied by the higher level
protocol.

Actually, I'm talking nonsense there.
The higher level protocol IS the charset as supplied (or defaulted) by
the data URI. The parameter won't include an XML declaration, so there
isn't a labelling conflict. There IS a (potential) conflict between
the implementation's Unicode encoding form and the charset on the data
URI, so I wasn't talking complete nonsense - the portability problem
is real.

The solution is for the implementation of the data URI to silently
override the supplied encoding. I'm not sure if that is legitimate or
not. I suppose you can just say that it's an even higher level
protocol.

I wish I hadn't started this thread spinoff!