xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Closing element required instead of self closing

2008-07-15 03:28:19
But if the receiving application is a browser like IE and
you're trying to generate XHTML then you do need worry about
minimization.

If you know that the receiving application is IE, which doesn't understand
XHTML, then why would you want to generate XHTML in preference to HTML?

Well I don't know how it's done everywhere but... most people seem to
develop strict xhtml using firefox with firebug, which provides the
nicest standards based environment.  Once the standards compliant site
is created, they try and cope with 10 or so browser types and
versions, and all the variations and hacks that goes with it.  With IE
(and perhaps others) you get the problem of minimization.  There's
even the IE6 (I think) problem where standards mode is switched on the
with the presence of the doctype, but off if there's an xml prolog!

Developing a cross-browser accessible site is hard enough without
these niggles, and a way of preventing tag minimization would've just
been helpful.

The choice is a reasonable amount of coding to switch between an HTML
and a strict XHTML site depending on the client, or use comments to
prevent minimization...  Ideally XSLT 1.0 would've included an XHTML
output method.

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com