xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Closing element required instead of self closing

2008-07-15 11:38:06
I'm anticipating the flames already, but there is one more (painful!)
kludge available. If you have the flexibility (via exsl:node-set or a
separate transformation) to use <xsl:output method="text"/> for your
final transformation, you _can_ cobble together an adequately accurate
X(HT)ML-as-text parsing stylesheet in XSLT 1.0. I've put together a
similar HTML-as-text stylesheet before, based on the HTML serialization
rules in the spec, and I seem to remember it working on par with the
native processor's HTML serialization.
I would think that a similar XHTML-to-text stylesheet would give you the
fine-grained control over closed/open empty tags where you need it,
while keeping the actual content's data straightforward. Let me know if
you want the HTML-as-text stylesheet (direct reply).

For the record, I was making the HTML-as-text stylesheet as a part of a
larger translation stylesheet for our almost-XML preprocessor language
at work, where it'd be really handy to be able to generate and
manipulate a close XML dialect and do one mass conversion when it's
needed as text. I'm not a masochist, I swear. :) And for the purists, I
stress that this is a hack and I acknowledge it as one, but it _does_
work. From what I remember, IE handles the output text identically to
the same output HTML from the processor.

~ Scott