xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Displaying Unique attribute value

2008-10-04 00:02:56
Dear David,

I have used your statements as follows:
<xsl:key name="page" match="*[(_at_)page-num]" use="@page-num"/>

<xsl:template match="/">
<h1><xsl:if
test="generate-id(.)=generate-id(key('page',@page-num)[1])"><xsl:value-of
select="generate-id(key('page',@page-num)[1])"/></xsl:if></h1>
</xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:template>

but I am unable to get the result in <h1> tag. Please help me.

Regards,
Ganesh

On 10/3/08, David Carlisle <davidc(_at_)nag(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:

muenchian grouping is your friend.

add

<xsl:key name="page" match="*[(_at_)page-num]" use="@page-num"/>

then to test if the current node is the first node with a given page-num
you just need

<xsl:if test="generate-id(.)=generate-id(key('page',@page-num)[1])">

as the key will return all the nodes with the current page-num, and the
generate-id test tests that the current node is the first of those in
document order.

To comment on your posted code

<xsl:template match="/">
<xsl:for-each select="@page-num">

/ is the document root so has no attributes so this is iterating over
the empty node set and will therefore do nothing.

You could change it to <xsl:for-each select="//*(_at_)page-num"> but the
above key is likely to be a lot more efficient than building a list of
unique pages before starting.

David