xsl-list

[xsl] Excluding a complete branch while identity copying

2008-10-10 13:44:49
I want to be able to copy a complete XML instance as/is except for
[say] some specific parts of the input tree. I thought immediately of
using an identity transform and specifying copy, but how to remove
those pesky sub-trees :-

Say this was my input :-

<Numbers>
        <Odds>
                <One>1</One>
                <Three>3</Three>
                <Five>5</Five>
        </Odds>
        <Evens>
                <Two>2</Two>
                <Four>4</Four>
                <Six>6</Six>
        </Evens>
        <Doubles>
                <Two>4</Two>
                <Four>8</Four>
                <Eight>16</Eight>
        </Doubles>
        <Squares>
                <Two>4</Two>
                <Four>16</Four>
                <Eight>64</Eight>
        </Squares>
</Numbers>

and I want to copy everything to output except <Evens> and <Squares>.

Lets also assume that the order of the input is undefined, so Evens
and Squares may/may not be in the positions I have shown above,
although I can assume that they are both children of <Numbers>.
Further, I don't know what all the children of Evens and Squares are
called I just know I don't want them.

Whats the easiest way of accomplishing this ?

many thanks

Fraser.