xsl-list

[xsl] Identifier attribute (was: Re: [xsl] Creating Hierarchy)

2008-10-17 12:07:51
At 2008-10-17 11:52 -0400, you wrote:
At 09:18 AM 10/17/2008, Ken wrote:
At 2008-10-17 13:47 +0100, Rowan Sylvester-Bradley wrote:
You'll find a description of an XSLT 2.0 stylesheet that does this (and some
other things besides) at

http://www.idealliance.org/proceedings/xml04/papers/111/mhk-paper.html

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

Thanks to Michael and Ken for your replies. I've now got it more or less working using xsl:for-each-group. However, I've got another problem that I can't quite work out. Each of the main elements in the result file needs to have a unique ID attribute.

An ID attribute value must be a name token, so your "1","2",... won't be correct. But you could use something like "N1","N2",...

Of course, the OP hasn't actually said his attributes named "id" need to validate as type ID. (Not that this isn't good advice in general, in case one ever wanted to do that.)

Sure, but I was assuming since he said "ID attribute" and not "identifier attribute" that he was citing ID-ness for the value.

But this brings up another issue we might have brought to the attention of the OP: the name of the attribute.

In all of the XML vocabularies I've designed for clients, standards and myself the last few years I've been avoiding:

  id=

in favour of:

  xml:id=

ref: http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/REC-xml-id-20050909/

because of the implied semantics.

I haven't run into any hiccoughs in any way by doing so ... has anyone run into roadblocks or unintended consequences doing the same?

--
Upcoming XSLT/XSL-FO hands-on courses:      Wellington, NZ 2009-01
Video sample lesson:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrNjJCh7Ppg