xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Entities

2008-11-11 05:26:56
I am involve in a xml to html to xml conversion by xslt and
entities conversion is a problematic issue. Below are the
steps for conversion.
XML INPUT Entities: “ (left double quote),

Let's start by getting the terminology right. “ is not an entity; it is
a character reference.

HTML OUTPUT Entities: “ (left double
quote),  ” (right double quote),

Almost certainly the XSLT processor produced correct output in UTF-8, but you
are viewing it using some kind of software that doesn't know it is reading
UTF-8, and is presenting it wrongly, thinking it to be iso-8859-1.

I want the entities should be same as input xml ie. “
for left double quote.

You can't guarantee the same representation as in the input (the XSLT processor
can't distinguish, for example, between a decimal and a hexadecimal character
reference for the same character). But you can force the XSLT processor (or
rather, its serializer) to output the character as a character reference by
selecting an encoding that does not include the character, for example
<xsl:output encoding="iso-8859-1"/>

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/