xsl-list

[xsl] Attributes with default namespaces? XSLT Rec question..

2008-11-13 11:51:20
Hi all,

A question about the XSLT recommendation..

If you add the following to your XSLT stylesheet:
        <test xmlns="http://test";>
                <xsl:attribute name="test"/>
        </test>

What namespace should that attribute receive? Should the result be:
        <test xmlns="http://test"; test=""/>

..or (something like)
        <test xmlns="http://test"; _:test="" xmlns:_="" />

[ Please read on first.. ;-) ]

The XSLT 2.0 recommendation states:
        "If the namespace attribute is not present, then the lexical Qname
         is expanded into an expanded-QName using the namespace declarations
         in effect for the xsl:attribute element, not including any default
         namespace declaration."

        (http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#creating-attributes, 9th paragraph or so)

The xsl:attribute has no namespace attribute, and the lexical Qname contains no
prefix. But since de default namespace declaration should not be included in
resolving/expanding the Qname, I would expect the latter result should appear.
However, the latter is not valid according to:
        (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/#ns-decl, 2nd paragraph or so)

..nor does any of the common implementations give that result, the all return
the first..

Am I misinterpreting the XSLT recommendation?

Kind regards,
Geert

Drs. G.P.H. Josten
Consultant

http://www.daidalos.nl/
Daidalos BV
Source of Innovation
Hoekeindsehof 1-4
2665 JZ Bleiswijk
Tel.: +31 (0) 10 850 1200
Fax: +31 (0) 10 850 1199
http://www.daidalos.nl/
KvK 27164984
De informatie - verzonden in of met dit emailbericht - is afkomstig van
Daidalos BV en is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Indien u dit
bericht onbedoeld hebt ontvangen, verzoeken wij u het te verwijderen. Aan dit
bericht kunnen geen rechten worden ontleend.