xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XTRE1160: The fragment identifier {62;n} is not a valid NCName

2008-11-19 13:33:10
2008/11/19 Michael Kay <mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com>:
Thanks - do I take it from that then, that it's not really
feasible to pass the kind of dubious double-escaped markup
you get in RSS feeds to the URIResolver using the data: scheme?

Not without doing some serious data cleansing first, I think.

Ok, as Dave mentioned it will have to be an extension.

The problem is, I suspect, that some feeds contain markup that has
been processed by some well-meaning person's method that takes a
string converts all ampersands to amp regardless of where they occur,
so correct serialised markup gets butchered, meaning tagsoup doesn't
have much chance of parsing it into something an XML parser won't
choke on.

There should be a golden rule of reading/writing xml - always use a
proper xml reader/writer and never, ever *ever* write a method that
takes xml-as-a-string and escapes characters - its always the wrong
thing to do.

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com