xsl-list

Re: [xsl] are multiple predicates same as boolean and

2008-11-24 15:58:06
Wendell Piez schrieb am 24.11.2008 um 15:11:50 (-0500):
At 11:42 AM 11/21/2008, Michael wrote:
I really liked the way Wendell Piez put it a while ago on this list:

 XSLT, especially XSLT 1.0, is at its best when the incoming
 data is well designed. When it isn't, one has to call on
 more advanced techniques such as processing text nodes
 explicitly. Of course, XSLT also exerts a gravitational
 pull on XML semantics, such that well-designed XML comes to
 be the XML that XSLT can handle without fuss. -- Wendell
 Piez, 30.09.2008, XSL-List

I can hardly argue with that :-> except that David's case is
one we can probably trust not to fall into the category of
"redesign your XML and your XSLT will simplify". Depending on
the application and the constraints on the source data, some
XSLT is going to be computationally intensive no matter what
you do. David's 11 predicates might have been 23 predicates if
his XML were not so well designed.

Those 11 predicates certainly have their place.

I simply liked your physics metaphor so much that that I wanted
to bring it back to the attention of the list :-)

Michael