xsl-list

[xsl] Integrated sort using different elements

2009-02-19 10:09:35
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out a way to sort by one of multiple elements, with descending priority. I'm working with a TEI bibliography, and there's no single element that all the entries have. Ideally, I'd like to sort by monogr/author; but when that's not possible, by analytic/author; if not that, monogr/editor; then monogr/title; and so on down the line.

Doing a series of sorts, one after another, doesn't work because it groups together all the entries with a monogr/author, then all the ones with an analytic/author. I need all the entries integrated together into one single A-Z list-- where the entry's place is determined by the first of the above elements that it has. I can't do "monogr/author | analytic/author" because some entries have both.

Here's what a complete (for this purpose) entry looks like-- most entries are missing one or many of these elements:
       <biblStruct>
         <analytic>
           <author>Author Name</author>
           <title>Article Name</title>