[xsl] round-robin template call

2009-04-05 12:48:17

I'm having difficulty figuring out how to perform something in XSLT 1.0. I want to be able to call a template at random points in an XSLT document, and each time the template is called it outputs a different version of a node. Example:

<xsl:template match="/">
                <xsl:call-template name="makenode"/>
                <xsl:call-template name="makenode"/>
<xsl:template name="makenode">
                <xsl:when test="oddcalls()">
                        <tagA type="odd">data</tagA>
                <xsl:when test="evencalls()">
                        <tagA type="even">data</tagA>

Obviously variables and parameters can't be altered once declared, and I can't think of a way of doing this with a recursive template.

Any ideas?