xsl-list

RE: [xsl] outputting an ampersand in an attribute

2009-08-07 19:40:25

These glyphs are not intended to map to actual unicode
characters, but rather to represent custom glyph characters.
The character entities are really acting as symbolic links
between references made in <svg:text> or <svg:tspan> elements
and the <svg:glyph>s which define the character's shape.

For this reason I needed to maintain the numeric character
references in the output, so Liam's comment about downgrading
the output encoding was key.

I think that if you're using codepoints to represent custom glyphs, it would
be wise to use codepoints in the Unicode private use area. The distinction
as to whether a character represents a public character or a custom glyph
should then depend on whether or not it is a private use character, not on
whether it is represented in the serialized XML by a numeric character
reference or by a real character. You're attaching information significance
to an accidental property of the XML character stream that is not designed
to convey information.

Regards,

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/