xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XSL-FO beginner's question

2009-09-28 16:57:00

At 2009-09-28 13:41 -0700, mark bordelon wrote:
Gentlemen,

BTW, there are *many* ladies who know this technology very well, and who are on this list.

I am having difficulty breaking into the complexities of FO

We are teaching XSL-FO in Washington DC in November covering all of XSL-FO 1.0 and 1.1 ... this follows a week of XSLT/XQuery/XPath at the same location. Details linked from our home page.

and have an assignment at work which is proving daunting. THis list has helped me so much with XSL that I thought someone here would indulge me in a simple start-up question.

We have a free excerpt of the PDF book on XSL-FO that we sell that you can download from our web site that goes into some basics you will probably find very helpful. Details linked from our home page.

Here goes. I have some XML and an XSL-FO style sheet which generates exactly one page of dynamic content transformed from the xml. It itself includes another stylesheet which dynamically generates an undefinined number of pages to follow the first page. These work fine and I do not wish to change them (!). My task is deceptively simple for me. I have to augment the first driver stylesheet to allow for the inclusion of another XSL-FO stylesheet which should generate exactly one page of purely static text, which must be the last page of the entire PDF.

Can anyone give me the most basic start-off template for this last, static page, and how to include it to assure the correct positioning at the end?

By using multiple page sequences. You are already using at least one page sequence for the content you have (you might be using two, one for your title page and one for your content).

Follow after the end of your current last <page-sequence> with a new <page-sequence> that has your static last page.

I hope this helps.

. . . . . . . . . . . Ken

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="US-ASCII"?><!--mark.fo-->
<root xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";
      font-family="Times" font-size="20pt">

  <layout-master-set>
    <simple-page-master master-name="frame"
                        page-height="297mm" page-width="210mm"
                        margin-top="15mm" margin-bottom="15mm"
                        margin-left="15mm" margin-right="15mm">
      <region-body region-name="frame-body"/>
    </simple-page-master>
  </layout-master-set>

  <page-sequence master-reference="frame">
    <flow flow-name="frame-body">
      <block>This is your first page of content</block>
    </flow>
  </page-sequence>

  <page-sequence master-reference="frame">
    <flow flow-name="frame-body">
      <block>
        This is where all your indeterminate length of content goes
      </block>
    </flow>
  </page-sequence>

  <page-sequence master-reference="frame">
    <flow flow-name="frame-body">
      <block>This is your last page of fixed content.</block>
    </flow>
  </page-sequence>
</root>

--
Upcoming hands-on code list, UBL, XSLT, XQuery and XSL-FO classes.
Interested in other classes?  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/i/