xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Benefits of xsd-types in XSLT

2009-11-19 14:11:47
Hi,

At 10:52 AM 11/19/2009, Florent wrote:
Wolfgang Laun wrote: > Whenever you say "XML", you implicitly say "text" XSLT does not manipulate XML as string, but it manipulates XDM instances. Often, something else than a serialized representation of XML is used to feed an XSLT or XQuery processor.

This is true and important to keep in mind, but I think Wolfgang also has an important point.

The issue at hand is precisely what sort of relation there is between the world of XDM and the world of XML over the wire, or in the black box at the other end.

As far as that goes, I think AC is onto something in writing:

I would simply like to also highlight some more "qualitative" aspects of XSLT type handling, including the support for implicit typing, the fact that explicit typing can be used as required, the fact that types can be expanded, defined, and checked in a formal process (e.g. schema), as well as the good support for type casting, detection, and conversion.

One of the important contributors to the success of XSLT 2.0 is that one can still work quite productively with fairly weak typing or with typing that is strong only where it needs to be.

Not that I know anything about it, but my guess is that while this doesn't make the issue of mapping type systems to one another disappear, in practice it often means it is somewhat less critical (and less onerous) than it might be.

Cheers,
Wendell

Wendell Piez