xsl-list

Re: [xsl] are all strings in a sequence valid potential QNames

2010-02-04 03:54:55
At 2010-02-04 09:45 +0000, Andrew Welch wrote:
Doesn't that restriction then make "castable as xs:QName" pretty
useless?   I can't see when you would need it...

I think many specifications end up with useless vestiges resulting from the product of two concepts where most of the combinations make sense but the odd one here or there end up not being very useful. On the left operand you have all of the different operands of literals and values, and on the right operand you have all of the different types, and that produces a myriad of combinations that need to be considered and implemented.

I've never had to consider this particular combination in casting in my production work and I wasn't even aware of the nuance until Michael very kindly clarified the situation.

--
XSLT/XQuery/XPath training after http://XMLPrague.cz 2010-03-15/19
XSLT/XQuery/XPath training:   San Carlos, California 2010-04-26/30